Wu Ya Jun’s Reflection on TOPIC 1: Online Participation and Digital Literacies

 

Scared to be a digital dinosaur, I am stepping out from my comfort zone to join this ONL212 course.

My experience about social media is very limited. I used Facebook, but never upload my personal photos as I prefer to enjoy some privacy. So I am only using it as a platform to message my friends who are overseas.

Since COVID-19, I have gained two years of experience on organizing virtual activities via Zoom. I believe the online tools are convenient and can keep people safe without face to face gathering in the pandemic situation.

Having joined this course, I have put my first Gmail account in use, and even created a blog.

During these two weeks, I have been working with the FISh model. For the problem-based learning method, we have investigated some online social media tools: e.g. Tik Tok, Podcasts, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Blog, etc. During the one hour sessions conducted twice a week, I got my inspiration from my group members, listening to them share about interesting subjects on different online sources. We tried to explore the different online teaching tools which were chosen by us and compared their Pros and Cons.

My task was to investigate the suitability of YouTube as a social media tool for online education. After researching online, I realized that YouTube is a popular and powerful learning tool. Availability of free, high-quality, and informative videos online on platforms like YouTube are an intuitive addition to modern learning environments. Educators, students, and parents all agree on the effectiveness of online videos as a teaching-learning tool. The best thing about YouTube videos is that they can easily be integrated into a variety of educational systems appropriate for online education.

There are 2 billion active users on YT and 500 hours of video content uploaded every minute.

It is evident that video content has greater appeal and attracts more users compared to any other type of content. From my experience, YouTube is better than the contents of PPT as a normal teaching tool. Thus, I believe online tools are useful and convenient.  

The topic of digital literacy is important. I find myself intrigued to know more about online platforms and want to get personalize experiences. I was facing challenges and struggling to catch up with my team, as most of them having some experience of using online teaching tools. Even though I felt pressured, I still persist to continue with the learning journey together with the members of my group from different countries.

Hopefully, I will get a fruitful outcome after the ONL212 course.

Comments

  1. My observations show that it is difficult to talk about openness in the work of an academic teacher. Lecturers do not want to share their work, make it available to the wider community for fear of criticism, accusation of plagiarism or misappropriation of the developed content.

    However, when I think about the education system in my country, I think that something needs to be changed, that the current system is outdated. People want to learn not only at school, they want to learn useful things, not necessarily the same as classmates. And if someone is looking for this knowledge and skills, it is worth finding the right sources. In this aspect, the openness of resources is beneficial, we choose the knowledge we need at this point and we will probably use it. New technologies help a lot, thanks to which acquiring new information and skills is easier and in some situations more effective.

    Thanks to the teaching materials on hygiene I have developed, many people could learn the most important principles of hygiene and improve their health. Not only at home but also abroad.

    I think that with proper regulation and control of content in open resources, it is possible to create credible, interesting and reliable courses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I belive that stepping out of your own comfort zon and trying is the best step and after reading what you wrote that is what you just did. Taking that first step will bring you energy to continue and although lots of things will feel confusing and unorganized its what brings you energy to continue in your pursuit.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wu Ya Jun’s Reflection on Topic 4: Design for online and blended learning

Wu Ya Jun’s Reflection on ONL 212 Topic 5: Lessons learnt-future practice